Charity: Notting Hill Genesis
|Area of Operation:||London|
|Pledge level:||£1450 including £50 registration fee|
Notting Hill Genesis (NHG) works in the community, providing homes for lower-income households. This is our primary purpose, and everything else we do supports that aim.
The sponsorship money raised by our runners contributes towards our hardship fund, to help residents during times of hardship and crisis.NHG Hardship fund
Sadly, many of our residents are unable to meet basic food and energy costs or pay for essential household items such as beds, fridges, and cookers. This is often due to vulnerability, ill-health, family bereavement or unexpected gaps in benefit claims.Our hardship fund supports around 500 NHG residents per year during these difficult times, with grants to help ease stress and suffering.
Case Study 1:
- A single parent with two young children aged 9 months and 3 years old had no flooring in their home. The tenant had physical disabilities which meant she was unable to work and reliant upon benefits to live. She did not have any spare money to pay for carpeting and their home was cold and uncomfortable. The hardship fund provided carpeting for her hallway, living room and bedroom.
Case Study 2:
- A tenant who was a care leaver after coming to the UK as an unaccompanied minor and asylum seeker, was suffering from depression. Whilst supporting him to apply for benefits and access mental health support we provided supermarket vouchers from the hardship fund. During a period where he was very depressed and unmotivated we ordered a shopping delivery to his home. We also kept his electricity topped up over the weekend meaning he could phone for medical assistance if needed.
Case Study 3:
- We supported a tenant fleeing domestic abuse and moving into a new property. She had no furniture and very little belongings. She had already exhausted all options available to her by taking an advance on her Universal Credit which she was repaying monthly. This meant she was struggling to meet her basic living costs and had no money left to buy furniture. Our hardship fund paid for a new bed, mattress and fridge-freezer.
"I have just received the shopping voucher which will ease pressure financially. I've got a call booked on Tuesday morning with the Green Doctors after the NHG referral. Thank you for the input and for organising this for me. My household feels less anxiety, more inclusive and connected, which is a good positive effect.” (Quote from tenant supported by hardship fund and partnerships team)
The money raised will also help to fund the following:
- Grant giving programme We fund local, community projects to help improve financial resilience and wellbeing. For example we funded a food pantry in Kensington and Chelsea so tenants can access lower cost food.
- Partnerships team Our partnerships officers work with partners such as Green doctors who offer support for those struggling to pay for utilities.
- Activities Officer A dedicated staff member organises activities within our care and support schemes, giving residents something to look forward to and offering a chance to make new friends.
- Volunteer Programme The programme focuses on building wellbeing amongst our residents through digital inclusion initiatives, befriending and other projects to reduce social isolation.