Charity: Time and Talents
|Area of Operation:||Bermondsey, Rotherhithe|
|Pledge level:||£1500 including £50 registration fee|
Loneliness is a killer for older peopleRun for us, and make their lives worth living.
Did you know loneliness makes you up to 30% more likely to die prematurely? And that there are over 2500 lonely older people in Southwark alone?
T&T is a genuinely local charity - and we've been helping isolated older people for 130 years. With your help, we can do much more.
At T&T, we give over 250 older people a year friendship, support, and somewhere they belong.
What we do to help:
- Our befriending service brings housebound older people support from volunteers who want to make a difference – a chat, a cup of tea, and a real friend who cares
- Our groups for older people always offer something out of the ordinary – from a mobile zoo, to a music hall visit, to a movie or a singalong, with lunch. They provide a way to feel independent and carefree, and give older people lots of much needed care and attention.
- Our Stroke club, Visually Impaired Group, Social Contact group, and strength and balance clubs offer specialist support for the people who most need our help – changing lives and helping them cope every single week.
- Fun and quirky T&T projects, from the Rotherhithe Shed, to a pub club for older men, to intergenerational reindeer sleigh rides and Cycling Without Age, or Crafty Beasts, mean that there’s always something new. This is vital for those who experience little joy, or fun, or newness in their lives because they are very isolated.
T&T is a small, well-loved local charity - we live and work right alongside the older people in our community, so you know that any funds you raise go directly to our work and make a huge difference to people at a grassroots level.
£1500 could pay for:
- A day a week for a year of minibus transport, bringing people who see no-one for days at a time to a place they can have lunch with friends.
- 15 weekly cycling sessions with our Cycling Without Age pilots in the local parks for those in care homes - when some have not been in a green space for years
- 10 of our regular 'Pub Clubs' for isolated older men who has retreated from community since their partner passed away
- 4 older people to receive fully a supported befriending service, and one to one practical emotional support to 'get back on their feet' after illness.
- 30 people to attend one of our strength and balance classes for older people who have fallen and need to get their strength and confidence back for six months